Saturday, May 11, 2013

I'm a big kid now.

This is in no way wedding related but I just wanted to share with everyone that I officially have a teaching job for Fall!

At the beginning of April I went to an education Job Fair in Portland thinking that I would just go for the experience and get an idea of what was out there.  I ended up with an interview with the Salem/Keizer school district but didn't think much of it because there were so many people at the job fair.  While I was waiting for my interview, the man I talked to at the booth walked up and actually got me in an interview to talk to his supervisor for the school rather than someone else from the school district (they were conducting mass interviews, not necessarily for individual schools).  I left the interview feeling good about my answers but still skeptical because of the low chances of getting a job at the fair.

A few days later I received a call from McNary High School saying that they were impressed with me at the job fair and asking me to come for an second interview at the school.  I immediately agreed and went up the next day.  The interview consisted of the Principal, Vice Principal, and the other spanish teacher at the school.  Again, I left the interview feeling good about my questions and answers but still not confident in my chances of actually getting a job.

Well a few days later I got another call saying that I was one of the top two candidates and that they wanted me to send a video of one of my classes for them to watch.  This is when I started to get excited about the possibility of having a real job.  I sent my video and waited for a response.

Well, on the Monday before my bridal shower, I got a call from Human Resources for the Salem/Keizer school district offering me the job! I decided to sleep on it for a few nights and talk it over with Michael but on the Friday of my bridal shower (May 10) I actually accepted the job!  I am so excited and nervous, but I will be teaching Spanish full time at McNary High School next school year!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment